My Superpower

I have not forgotten dear Crazy Ass and our training for the half marathon.  The memories are near and dear to my heart: runs at the sculpture park, Camelbaks, and jelly beans. 

We met regularly at a sculpture park with a 1.5 mile running loop (or walking path - for those who used the park for its actual purpose - to look at the sculptures.)  We placed our water bottles on one of the benches, and took a sip every time we ran past.  As we graduated past the need for a 1.5 mile loop, we started using the bike trail in town and needed a reliable hydration system.  Thus, the Camelbaks.  Sure, they accentuated our already-sloping shoulders, but we were thirsty!  And we needed a place to store the jelly beans.  Jelly beans.  The bribery tactic of beginner runners...  "If I get half way through my run, I deserve a few jelly beans.  Preferably Starburst or Jolly Rancher brand."

What impacted me the most during our early days training together, was not the jelly beans or the sculptures, but the conversations me and Crazy Ass shared and how close we grew as friends.  We solved the worlds problems - or at least our own - as we went on longer and longer runs together.  Each of us with marital problems, kid problems, work problems...  We looked forward to our running therapy.  We had issues that once seemed insurmountable, but something happened out on the trail.  We came to the realization that if we could run 13.1 miles or even 5 miles, we could do anything.

And so, we became superwomen.  If something at work bothered me, I thought "So what?  I'm going to run 5 miles today."  If I got disgusted by a sink full of dishes, I put on my superwoman cape and flew out the door for a run.  The pile of dishes seemed so much smaller when I got back.  Crazy Ass found her way out of a destructive marriage, and I gained a little perpective on mine.  Running became my superpower.  No, I didn't save anyone from a burning building, but I think I may have saved myself. 

2 comments:

Johi said...

Awesome post- and so true! I'm not a runner, but I used to do a 5 mile walk 5 days a week with a friend. We really did feel like we were solving problems and saving ourselves.

Tortoise said...

Thanks, Johi. I either swim or walk with a friend at work every day. I'm finding it to be great therapy as well!

Post a Comment

I love comments! The easiest way to comment is to choose the Name/URL option and just type in your name.