Frolicking on the Butte

An artist painted a little bit of heaven for me to run in this morning.  You're surprised?  I have my own commandments now, you know ;).  Brilliant cerulean bathed the sky.  Sunlight appeared to dance with the dew on the grass, and a mama bird glanced at me from her nest.  Every rose bush sagged under the burden of abundant blooms.  This little bit of heaven was my sleepy neighborhood this morning.  And to think I had to talk myself into getting out there and enjoying it.

6am this morning...

Domestic Goddess Self: You really need to load the dishwasher.  Those are last night's dishes.  You should be ashamed!

Dedicated Employee Self: That project is not going to get done on its own.  You should log in and get some work done from home before the kids get up.

Couch Potato Self: This episode of the Voice you DVR'd is really good.  Can't we just lay here in bed?  You did stay up past 9 last night...  Please???

Tulip Frolicking Self: The weather could not get any better than this.  Let's run!

Lucky me...  Some tulips got frolicked.  It was a short run today.  It turns out I am quite co-dependant.  Flash over-extended his knee, and I am out a running partner for the next week.  Somehow, the sense of obligation is lacking when there's no one to hold me accountable for running.  Everyday demands end up taking priority.  Yet when I do get out for my run, I am always so glad that I did.

I live on a butte; so, the neighborhood has some topography.  I haven't run it in awhile, seeking some flatter courses to work on adding mileage.  The Butte includes a gruelling hill up Promontory Street.  Promontory was not kind to me today.  It is a steady incline as you approach the hill; so, I was already a little winded by the time I got to it.  It stood, menacing as I turned the corner and got a good look at it.  Normally I take it head-on thinking "It takes me two minutes, tops, to get to the top of this hill.  I can do anything for two minutes."  Today, I didn't have the same, spirited approach. 

Couch Potato Self: See, I told you we should have finished watching The Voice.
 
Tulip Frolicking Self: You have a point, but I paused it before Adam Levine and his team performed their ensemble number.  The sooner we get this done, the sooner we can get back to our show.  (Adam Levine: lead singer, Maroon 5.  See previous Heavy Breathing post, and you will think this is an obsession.)

And so, driven by a love for Adam Levine, I continued my way up Promontory Hill.  Getting to the top, I remembered two beautiful things about hills: 1.  They end!  2.  You get to run down the other side!  I gleefully finished the downhill stretch of my run and coasted into my driveway.  I resisted picking a tulip on the way.  (I admit they aren't in season.  Picking an Iris just isn't the same, though.)

Hill Repeats: you will have to wait for another day.  I can't keep Adam waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! The easiest way to comment is to choose the Name/URL option and just type in your name.