Tortoise Commandments a.k.a. How to Take Risks without Looking Stupid

Words of wisdom from Garfield: It's amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do.  This caption can be found on a poster of Odie, with his tongue-wagging smile, perched on a tree branch. 

I think of Odie whenever I try anything new.  The fact is, I'll try anything once.  I figure if I suck, I can always say - hey, I'm new!  The real pressure actually comes later, after I've been doing something for awhile.  While the tortoise in me is content to do something familiar and comfortable, even a tortoise wants to improve.

So, I'm going to get bossy here for a minute.  I'm the oldest of five children - I'm entitled.  I unveil for you the Tortoise Commandments... a few things that have helped me to take risks, without getting hurt or looking (too much) like an idiot.

Commandment 1: Set a Goal
Let's face it, most of us will hardly take a jog around the block without a specific goal to shoot for.  Having a specific goal keeps us motivated to get out of bed on those mornings when we just want to hit the snooze and catch a few more Z's.   It's important not to just say, "I want to start running more."  You have to scare the bajeebers out of yourself by signing up for a race.  Then you'll push yourself.  Probably out of the fear of looking stupid.  'Cause no one wants to do the walk of shame after giving up on a race or wait for the sag wagon to come along and pick them up.

Commandment 2: Have a Plan
Ok, it's true, I'm a planner.  Maybe it's the teacher in me, but you need a roadmap to get where you're going - a calendar with the days marked with the type of run you're doing that day and for how many miles.  Looking over your plan will help boost your confidence...  you'll think "See, I can actually do this!" 

Commandment 3: Be Flexible
If the plan you set out just isn't happening for one reason or another - change it.  So you missed your long run on Sunday, that's ok... switch it to Monday.  If you have a few weeks go by that just don't add up to the mileage you need, adjust your training plan - and your expectations for race day.  Race day is really only a reflection of the training time put in.  Sometimes, the schedule simply doesn't allow for the best performance...  So what?  Are you going for an Olympic medal here?

Commandment 4: Be Patient
This is something you get so much better at as you get older.  You know how when you were a kid, you wanted to be a superstar at everything right out of the gate?  You had to do it right then before you got really old - like in your 30's?  Well, guess what.  You have your whole life ahead of you.  There is PLENTY of time to become a marathon runner.  Just ask the silver-haired lady in the purple sports bra who finished the Canyonlands Half Marathon a minute before I did...  It does not have to happen over night.  They say a good training plan adds mileage each week - by about 10%.  This is key to injury prevention.  I've seen beginners go out strong - running a 6 mile, then an 8 mile, then a 10 mile in just a couple weeks - only to end up with a stress fracture or other injury.

Commandment 5: Have Fun
This commandment supercedes all others...  if you're not enjoying what you're doing, there is something wrong.  Look for the joy in everything you do.  Whether it's the scenery, the company, the music, or the energy you feel for the rest of the day after you've gotten a good run in, treasure it.  Savor a moment away from your kids - or WITH your kids, if your lucky enough to have ones that will join you.  Whatever it takes to make it fun, do it.  I like to bribe myself with gummy bears half way through my long run.  Not only are they totally yummy, they are extra fuel for the second half of the run.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox.  The tortoise is back in the shell.  If you heed none of my advice, at least consider the gummy bears.  I'm serious, they're really good.

I would love to hear your ideas on taking risks.  How do you try something new without looking stupid?  Leave me some comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! The easiest way to comment is to choose the Name/URL option and just type in your name.