The Great Weight Loss Challenge Part One

6 weeks.  20 Pounds.  Can it be done?  Read on to find out if this unlikely feat can actually be achieved. 

It all started at 24 Hour Fitness just before the New Year, 2010.  Crazy Ass had encouraged me to sign up for a week-long trial membership.  It was a rare occasion when Little Sis joined us, and we were on the treadmills enjoying the Biggest Loser.  Out of the blue, Crazy Ass came up with one of her bright ideas…  “Hey, you know what?  We should all try to lose 20 pounds by Valentine’s Day.  I bet we can do that.  If these guys on the Biggest Loser can do it, I bet we can, too.”

Voice inside head: There is absolutely no way I'm going to lose 20 pounds by Valentine’s Day – BUT if I lose even 10 pounds, that’d be cool.
Voice outside head: “Sure, I’m game.”
Little Sis: "If you keep going to Weight Watchers with me, I think I could do that.  Let's go for it."

And so, the pact was made.  Then and there, we all agreed to lose 20 pounds by Valentine's Day (Sorry, Crazy Ass, I may have crossed my fingers behind my back.)

Like a lot of people, I never had to work at keeping weight off in my 20’s.  At one point I worked out for 15 minutes on the elliptical 3 times a week and ended up a size 2.  That put an end to working out in my 20’s.  (I’m 5’6”…  A size 2 just ain’t right.)  Suddenly, in my 30’s, the pounds started piling on.  I thought running would solve my problem.  But, no.  Not a pound had been shed since I had started running 18 months prior.  Before that, I tried to walk my butt off and that hadn’t worked either.  A trip to the doctor - in the hopes of a hypothyroid diagnosis - was un-successful as well.

I was at the point where I needed some kind of jump start.  I had nothing to lose from going crazy extreme.  My usual, laid-back approach was not working, so why not try something different?  And so it began.  6 WEEKS OF INSTANITY.  Two-hour sessions at the gym.  Time with a personal trainer.  Fitness classes.  I was determined to drop some pounds. 

It just so happened that after Christmas was about the only time I could do extreme anything – aside from parenting.  With no after school activities to monopolize my time, I could fit in a fair number of two-hour workouts each week.  24 Hour fitness allows month-to month gym memberships, which works out perfectly for a runner like me, who primarily works out outdoors, Spring through Fall.

Insane Workout Regimen:
Monday:
Morning run – 30+ minutes of cardio
Lunch walk with a co-worker – 30+ minutes of cardio
Tuesday:
Lunch walk with a co-worker – 30+ minutes of cardio
1 hour fitness class – 45+ minutes of cardio
*I love the WillPower and Grace class offered at our 24 Hour Fitness.  It’s some yoga and some cardio; so, great strength training and calorie burn.
1 hour of walking on the treadmill – 60 minutes of cardio
Wednesday:
Morning run – 30+ minutes of cardio
Lunch walk with a co-worker – 30+ minutes of cardio

Thursday:
Lunch walk with a co-worker – 30+ minutes of cardio
1 hour personal trainer– 45+ minutes of cardio
1 hour of walking/running on the treadmill – 60 minutes of cardio
Friday:
Lunch walk with a co-worker – 30+ minutes of cardio
Saturday:
            2 hours of cardio at 24 Hour fitness, either in a Boot Camp class
            or on the treadmill
Sunday:
            Long Run – 60+ minutes of cardio

Crazy enough for ya?  Ok, I admit, this was by no means strict do-or-die.  If I needed to work through lunch due to a deadline, I skipped my walk, but this gives you an idea just how much physical activity I thought I could cram into a week.

The night Crazy Ass laid down the gauntlet, I went home and told my family about the challenge and how I planned to spend the next couple months.  They all smiled knowing mom was up to one of her crazy schemes again not to doubt when mom set her mind to something.  Life was about to change around here.

3 comments:

Tortoise said...

How does this compare with your workout regimen? Have you ever done any extreme weight loss strategies like P90X or Insanity? How did it turn out for you?

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I work out 5 days a week - primarily running. I'm better w/ incorporating weights during the winter months, when I can't get outside as much. I've never done P90X or Insanity. I do Shred now and then, LOL! Good luck w/ your great weight loss!

Tortoise said...

That's impressive, Lisa! I checked out your blog and it looks like you have your hands full. Kudos for still getting a workout in regularly!

Post a Comment

I love comments! The easiest way to comment is to choose the Name/URL option and just type in your name.